Let's Talk Saturdays--Do They Really Hate Us?

In these recent days, a lot of what is happening when it comes to fashion trends and hair trends is just a result of cultural appropriation. For years, things that Black women did was seen as ghetto or hoodrat, but now it's trending. As a Black woman, it makes me feel some kind of way. It makes it seem like it's only "fashion forward" when it's on someone with much fairer skin than myself.

The very things that are characteristic of the Black community are the very things that Black people are ridiculed for but now people are trying to buy those same characteristics. White people have been shooting their lips up with collagen for as long as I can remember, trying to get lips that look like mine. What's so funny to me is no matter how much collagen you shoot in your lips, you will always end up with those ugly, fake looking duck lips.

The more I looked at Instagram the more I began to think....do they really hate us? They like what we do but they hate us. People tried to make "feed in braids" a thing. Bruh. It's a basic cornrow. There's nothing new about that. I get it fashion repeats itself. But 

My grandma says "There is nothing new under the sun." It true. Every fashion trend, hair trend, nail trend has been done before by a Black woman, but because Kylie Jenner or one of the other Kardashians does it, it's cool? It's not right. I don't like. I don't subscribe to that. I can't get jiggy with that. At all.






https://www.teenvogue.com/story/kylie-jenner-yaki-ponytail-cultural-appropriation

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-conversation-africa/cultural-appropriation-wh_b_10585184.html

Comments