365 Questions--April 8

What is the best piece of advice to give to your teenage self?

Honestly I would have to say, "Don't be so nonchalant about the things that matter to you." This is something  that has happened over and over in my life. Sometimes when things mean a lot to me, I don't make it a big deal out loud. That way I could cope better if things went south. I made myself think that those things didn't matter to me. It's kinda like I gave up before I even gave myself a chance. 

For example, I love to dance. I've always been a mover. I never got technical instruction until I was 11 years old, when I started 6th grade at Davidson Fine Arts. Okay so Davidson Fine Arts is a school here in Augusta that focuses on the performance and visual arts for 6th through 12th grade. My fine arts were dance and piano. I was never passionate about piano even though I had been playing since I was in 2nd grade. I loved dance. Dancing made me feel so alive. However, I wasn't the best at it. I wasn't a horrible dancer by a long shot. 

I never got that true training until I went to Davidson. Some kids started dancing when they were 2 and they're amazing, but then there's me. I loved dance and my teachers knew it. I loved dance so much the tI danced for a company outside of school. I used to get asked to audition for solos, but the minute one of those people I knew had years of experience over came into the audition, I would shut down because I knew I would never compare to them. So I never went to those auditions. I just didn't care not matter how much I loved dancing. 

I feel like I missed out on so many opportunities because I just didn't care. Now I'm 25 and I'm looking back only life, and it's like I wish I would've done more here or I wish I would've spoken up here. I wish I could tell y'all how many times I printed out that application for FAMU and started filling it out, but never applied for undergrad. Because my parents told me no, I gave up. I didn't even try to fight. I wish it wouldn't have taken me so long to figure that out, but now that I know it's time out. 

Comments