365 Questions--February 26

What is something that makes you happy?

Of course with it being Black History Month, it's only right to acknowledge it. Obviously, I am a black female, but the thing that genuinely makes me smile is Black excellence. It's just....uggggghhhhh it gives me soooo much life. It's crazy to think Black people were creating things, like the pyramids, that people today still can't explain how they were able to do it, enslaved them, and even after slavery was slavery constantly systematically oppressing them. In spite of alllllllllllllll of that, we still win. We still overcome.


Black people have an unexplainable resilience. When doors were closed, we made our own path. That's why I love HBCUs so much. Not long before many of them were founded, Black people were being killed for being knowledgeable. They weren't even allowed to learn to read. So what they did was went the back way. White people don't have to teach us anything, we'll teach each other. The amount of talent that comes from HBCUs. Anika Noni Rose, K. Michelle, Loni Love, Taraji P. Henson, Common, Erykah Badu...all products of an HBCU.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with going to a PWI. I graduated from a PWI and I'm attending one now. There's something special about someone who can overcome not only the environment they come from but all the environment they're currently in. To me it's like people that do that are saying "Oh you didn't want me to learn? Well not only am I gonna learn, but I'm going to do it in the same place you learn."Take a look at people like Angela Bassett and my president and first lady, the Obamas. Angela Bassett graduated from the same high school that a few of my cousins went to in St. Pete. Baby let me tell you, St. Pete aint the best of the best. So to come from a place like St. Pete where people don't really get out and to go to Yale of all places?!? Awesome. The Obamas have multiple degrees all from ivy league schools, and they're from the southside of Chicago.

I'm just so proud of us. It really gives me inspiration to keep going. Knowing that my people came from way worse and was still overcome gives me hope. There's nothing more powerful than being successful and Black. Knowing that regardless of what is thrown, we overcome. We win. It's excellent, Black excellence ✊🏾


Black Pearl, Precious little girl
Let me lift you up where you belong
Black Pearl, Precious little girl
You've been in the background much too long

--YoYo

Comments