Let's Talk Saturdays---They Don't Want Our Coins

For those of you who don't know I am a big makeup fan. Beauty videos and family blogs are all I watch on Youtube, so this particular issue definitely caught my attention.

There's been a lot of controversy with the recently released Shape Tape foundation by Tarte. It looks like there's maybe 15-20 for each of the foundations in the collection, but there's literally 3 maybe 4 shades that are Black girl friendly. See...


It seems like everybody on social media is an uproar about this. Honestly, it doesn't surprise me. At all. Tarte Cosmetics is a makeup line created by a White woman so more than likely it's going to cater to White or fairer skinned people. From my understanding after watching MakeupShayla's video the formulation of the foundation is really nice. It is unfortunate that more shades weren't created for deeper skin tones, but that's Tarte's loss not mine. So many cosmetic lines have overlooked those women with deeper skin, like myself. I just don't think it's smart for Tarte or any other cosmetic line to not have a variety of shades especially  those brands that are very much established. Everyone saw the reaction to Fenty Beauty's launch. I just got my foundation a couple weeks ago because it sold out on me twice. Obviously there is a market for Black women. 
I think the best thing to do is to support brands that cater to darker women. Tarte doesn't have to include a shade for me. I don't own a Tarte product as it is. It's not life changing to me. There are so many brands that have a better range of shades, like Nars, BlackUp, Makeup Forever, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Bobbi Brown. The world doesn't begin and end with Tarte so just spend your money elsewhere. 

So I never leave the house without make-up on, 
I keep mascara in my pocket if I'm running to the market
‘Cause you never know who's watching you
So I got to stay on, I got to stay on
I got to stay on, I got to stay on
Said I got to stay on! 

--Jazmine Sullivan

Comments